CELT Summer Book Group
“Grit: the Power of Passion and Perseverance” written by Angela Duckworth
Tuesdays Noon to 1pm in R006
May 30, June 6, June 13, June 20, June 27
Free book if you register by May 23
Leaving a high-flying job in consulting, Angela Lee Duckworth took a job teaching math to seventh graders in a New York public school. She quickly realized that IQ wasn’t the only thing separating the successful students from those who struggled. In this 6-minute TED Talk about her book, she explains her theory of “grit” as a predictor of success: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H14bBuluwB8
New and Returning Faculty Development Day
Monday August 7, 8:30-4:00pm
Sign up for all sessions you are able to attend
Lunch included if you sign up for a morning and an afternoon session
Schedule of Events
8:30 – 9:45am Crafting Your Syllabus led by Sarah Lovern
- Includes: using the Concordia syllabus template including the credit hour policy and Blackboard Learn information for students.
10:00am – Noon Blackboard Basics (hands on) led by Susan Gallanis and Justin Frisque
- Learn the fundamentals and set up gradebook for a fall course! Includes: adding content (folder, file, web link); creating an assignment (was called a drop box in ANGEL); setting up the Grade Center; adding a test student; adding a user; and opening a course to students. Bring your laptop.
1:00 – 2:00pm Active Lecturing led by Susan Gallanis
- Learn strategies to maintain students’ attention when you lecture including effective PowerPoint design
2:15 – 3:00pm Blackboard Assessments led by Justin Frisque
- Includes: creating tests with several question types, creating and using question pools.
3:00 – 4:00pm Blackboard Collaborate led by Justin Frisque and Susan Gallanis
- Includes: Introduction to using Blackboard Collaborate and how it can be used for scheduling online office hours and guest presentations.